School is starting which means the roads will be filled with buses, cars, bikes, and walkers, all trying to get to school on time. This influx of people can mean increased danger. This is a serious concern for parents and school administration. Here are few important reminders for drivers that will help keep our kids safe.
When driving, remember:
- Don’t assume you have the right of way
- Stop for buses so children can get on or off the bus
- Avoid blocking crosswalks causing children to walk in traffic
- Remember it’s against the law to use your phone while driving in a school zone (http://www.txdot.gov/driver/laws/cellphones.html)
- Know your the school’s drop off or pick up procedures
- Always check for bike riders of all sizes
- Monitor your speed in a school zone
We want every child to be able to get to and from school safely. Have a great first day!